Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Une Petite Freakout

One of these days I’ll grow up to be a rational, logical, cool-headed decision-maker. This is not that day.

I am, for better or worse, in the habit of making big impulsive choices and then sitting back in a cloud of nuclear fall-out waiting for my third eye to sprout.

My schedule for what remains for the week:
Wednesday: Leave job
Thursday: Leave country

I love, love, love my job, but as they’ve decided to move my office to New Jersey, I’ve decided I really don’t need to do that commute. I commuted from Princeton to Wall Street every day for two years, and it literally made me a crazy woman. And that was with the availability of public transit. With our new NJ office, we are totally reliant on van service to get there, as even public transit seems to realize no one actually wants to be in Englewood Cliffs and would never voluntarily go there. The move is now rumored to be happening in December or later, but I found what I hope is a fantastic job at a new place, where I can have a lot of impact doing what I do best, where the pay is a lot better, and which is blessedly in New York, with little chance of a bull-shitty office move to an inhospitable environment. So I took that job, and I start in a month.

In the mean time, I’ll be in Ireland with Mr. One Night Stand Who Actually Turned Out to Be Totally Awesome. He wasn’t what I was expecting, and I certainly wasn’t planning to float off to the Emerald Isle for a month, but I’m so damn sick of New York right now I could scream, and I want to see if Mr. ONSWATOTBTA and I are as compatible as we seem to think we are. So off I go on what could either be an amazing, life-changing, heart-expanding trip, or a total miscalculation, in which case . . .meh. I figure you only go ‘round once, so you should try to squeeze as many experiences out of life while you can.

Now I’m just in the ‘change is scary!’ phase, where I have slight cold feet and am second guessing everything from ‘did I really need the other, more massive suitcase?’ to ‘why can’t I lick my own elbow? It totally seems like it should be physiologically possible.’

It’s just a little mini freak-out, and I trust it will pass, but in the mean time, if I’m hyperventilating in the corner, just tell me it’s charming and keep moving.

Labels: , ,

AddThis Social Bookmark Button
AddThis Feed Button

1 Comments:

Blogger Cristi said...

Can you lick your nipple? If not, it is time for a real freakout. Enjoy Ireland and the man.

10:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home