Monday, January 08, 2007

Mrs. Butterworth's Conspiracy


This morning, when I got off the train at 34th Street, the subway station was reeking of natural gas.

New Yorkers, as a rule, ignore everything, whether everything is a pan-handling woman wearing a potato sack, Crocs, and flaming-red dyed hair, or the smell of a gas leak in the morning. Even if they aren’t actively ignoring it, they’re not really commenting on it either; twitching a shoulder to let the pan-handler pass, and maybe sniffing the air curiously, but not sniffing deeply and then turning to fellow passers-by with widened eyes to confirm something smells ‘not quite right.’

So when I got off the train and caught my first whiff, I did what any New Yorker would; put my head down, my umbrella up, and trudged my way into the office, where I promptly forgot about it, assuming I was just smelling things, and no one else had noticed.

My co-workers started trickling in about 10, and Josh and Preeta started talking about it as they waited for their computers to fire up. This helpfully confirmed I’m not crazy and that my stress-addled brain is not manufacturing phantom trouble smells.

Josh checked the news wires, and yes, Con-Ed has indeed been fielding calls about a mysterious natural gas smell which has blanketed the entire city, but is particularly strong in mid town. No explanation as to what it is, at least not as of 10:30 this morning.

This unexplained smelly event reminded me of last year’s Maple Syrup Incident, wherein the city, its boroughs, and Jersey smelled exactly like someone had poured Mrs. Butterworth’s all over everything. The syruping of the city happened twice, and a Google search for ‘syrup smell NYC’ brings up plenty of articles about the incident itself, but nothing by way of explanation.

Josh has postulated it’s The Man, doing a clandestine test to see how chemical weapons might spread across the city. In the absence of any explanation, I’m a bit apt to agree with him. I don’t abide by most conspiracy theories, but I couldn’t find anything online to explain it. (As we all know, if you read it online, it’s true.)

This natural gas odor is far less pleasant than the maple syrup smell, but the syrup was far more creepy. What the hell makes an entire city smell like a diner, then goes away, and is never explained?

And today, is it possible that one gas leak could stink up the entire city? Or will this, too, fade into the annals of city lore?

“Remember that day when midtown smelled like gas?”

“Oh, yeah!”

“Whatever happened with that?”

“Dunno…”

Oooooh.

Labels: , ,

AddThis Social Bookmark Button
AddThis Feed Button

3 Comments:

Blogger amandapetunia said...

Yeah I smelled gas at Union Square today. That station always smells funny though. Lets hope someone doesn't light a match.

5:37 PM  
Blogger Adam said...

I was gonna blog about the various smells in NYC throughout the ages, but nevermind, yours is better! Hope we don't explode tomorrow at 34th Street!

10:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was most likely a terrorist attack. As soon as they confirm it WAS NOT a terror attack but can't tell us what it WAS, I get suspicious. It was probably meant to destroy or explode the entire city but as per the competence level of these idiots who can barely figure out how to blow themselves up, the fucked it up. The "government" will only acknowledge terrorist attacks they themselves have either orchestrated or deliberately allowed to take place. Real attacks must be kept from us to limit the panic to only when they want us to panic. I do subscribe to conspiracy theories that make sense and have factual evidence supporting them. Common sense also helps.

2:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home